I purchased a Dell Inspiron 9200 in Janaury 2005. It has been an excellent laptop since day #1, but an upgrade is now in order!
Can ANYBODY have a clue as to when Dell will release laptops based on the new CENTRINO 2 line? I'd love to buy another Dell, but if they don't plan on upgrading the hardware soon, then I'll have to go to another brand.
It’s that time again for the ATI Catalyst™ driver update!
Let’s take a look at what is new this month!
New Windows Features
ATI Catalyst – Video enhancements
* H.264 Level 5.1 support o ATI Catalyst can now playback 5.1 level streams on all support players o Allows for playback of high resolutions (4Kx2K)
AMD video transcoding updates
* This release of ATI Catalyst provides enhanced support for the Windows 7 Drag and Drop video converter o Performance improvements o New formats supported (H.264 file formats – MTS, WTV, and WMV9 Complex profile interlaced content) o ATI Catalyst Control Center™ option for enabling/disabling GPU acceleration * Support for the ATI Video converter is now available in the advanced view of the ATI Catalyst Control Center
New Linux Features
Support for new Linux operating systems
* This release of ATI Catalyst driver for Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems: o Ubuntu 10.04 early look support
For more information on ATI Catalyst 10.4 (for Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows® XP, and Linux® versions), including all of the resolved issues in this release, please see the ATI Catalyst 10.4 release notes.
The first ATI Catalyst 10.3a is out. Lets install it in our ATi enabled laptops and see the improvements here.
This ATI Catalyst™ driver update will unlock new performance improvements on top of the already previewed features in the initial Catalyst™ 10.3 Preview driver we sampled you in February. This driver will be available to download on March 17th from undgerground.amd.com and it will be called "Catalyst 10.3a Preview". On March 24th we will post the official Catalyst™ 10.3 WHQL certified on amd.com. The difference between the two is that Catalyst™ 10.3a Preview will contain future Eyefinty 6 updates and an Alien vs. Predator optimization which the Catalyst™ 10.3 WHQL posting does not have.
Gosh! I am so excited
Direct Download Links:
Desktop 64-Bit version
Notebook 64-Bit version
Update: The desktop direct link doesnt seem to work from the forum but still works from the underground.amd.com and mobility direct link still works.
Update: This is the change log I found so far:
Support for 3D Stereoscopic Glasses.
• Support for ATI Mobility Radeon GPUs (HD2000-HD5000). • Eyefinity Display Bezel Compensation. • Eyefinity Per-Display Color Adjust. • Eyefinity Multiple Display Groups. • Eyefinity Display Configuration Switching. • Performance improvement in Aliens vs. Predator. • Performance improvement in Battleforge. • Performance improvement in Call of Duty: World at War. • Performance improvement in Company of Heroes. • Performance improvement in Crysis. • Performance improvement in Crysis: Warhead. • Performance improvement in DiRT 2. • Performance improvement in Far Cry 2. • Performance improvement in Left 4 Dead. • Performance improvement in Left 4 Dead 2. • Performance improvement in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky. • Performance improvement in Resident Evil 5. • Performance improvement in Tom Clancy's HAWX. • Performance improvement in World in Conflict. • Numerous Bug Fixes.
The official release notes will release when it will be directly webposted at amd.com.
Benchmark test of 10.3a for 5000 series card: link
Update: Official ATi Catalyst 10.3 Suite Available Now
Although Dell's website claims the Studio 1537 with Penryn-M 1066 MHz FSB processors are centrino 2, why didn't they include the Centrino 2 Inside sticker on the laptop? I recall that they need to be officially certified by Intel in order to get the sticker, so what is non-compliant in the studio 15 centrino 2?
It's release at Computex Taipei is coming up very soon...and I think I'm not the only one waiting for an XPS line refresh with this...
I hope we can use this thread to share news, benchmarks, or just general talk about the new platform....
I know I'm definitely excited having seen some X4500 benchmarks already Low power and decent performance, wawhoo (Decent=not crazy gaming, but fine for CAD, 3D mathematical analysis, watching movies on the go with low battery useage)
I followed a couple threads on here on how to format and reload everything from scratch. It has worked perfectly and I'm much more happier without the Dell bloatware. That said, the only issue (not sure if it's really an issue) that I'm having is with the WiMAX 6250 driver. I downloaded the latest drivers from here:
I have had this model for about 2 weeks and the bluetooth was working fine on setup, although now when I try to connect to my phone even though I had already added my phone as a device it seems to have been removed and the bluetooth just will not find any devices whatsoever. Previously my phone would find the laptop under the name I had given but now when finding it, it comes up as PC Controller App v1.4. , but still no response on laptop. I have run a diagnostic on the wifi and all seems to be ok.
Is it possible that I replace the Z11's stock Wifi with the Lenovo Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250? I may use upcoming Sprint 4G data service that required a WiMax card. I can order the Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 from Lenovo.
I have L530 with Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless built-in. The computer does not see any of the n networks I have setup (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz). When I get advanced properties on the centrino adapter, the "Wireless mode" shows only a/b/g options and not n. Â Is the 6205 adapter compatible with 802.11n? If yes, how can I enable it? I have the latest drivers installed thru Lenovo Thinkvantage Tools app.
I have been a SUPER happy customer with my M1730. I originally owned an XPS Gen 2 (way back in the day). My question is, are they going to make a new successor to M1730? It's been a while, I've seen DELL come out with the new lower XPS line (13/16). Also now with the Adamo. However, I see no mention of further XPS 17XX. Have they discontinued it?
I know they purchased Alienware, but I just don't like Alienware, it looks a little to geeky for me.
If they took the M1730 and just upgraded the board so we could get the 1333Mhz RAM + G270M Video card + QuadCore (However, I'm pretty happy with my X9000)
Well im currently using the Dell XPS M1330 since 2008 let me say it has been awesome! The only problem has been the battery which has been dead since early February I believe so I have been operating using the adapter.
The dead battery is still in the laptop.
However, now my idle temps are over 75 c and often over 80 c, so im thinking about selling this in fact I will be selling this shortly. Especially given the fact that the warranty ran out in February of this year.
Anyhow, im wondering if the XPS line will be refreshed in 2010 and when can we expect some new XPS models.
I only purchase my computers from Best Buy and currently they really do not have anything which really grabs me
The bottom line is that this laptops are not worthy to buy!
1. Throttling Issue (No real fix so far) 2. Random freezing (Speculations about driver fix) 3. Brightness control stops working randomly (remove batery to fix) 4. Sub-buffer rattles (nobody knows why) 5. Stereo leaks between left and right (no fix) 6. System runs extremely hot (1645 a little bit less than 1640)
All-in-all nice looking and feature complete laptop with a lot of issues.
Most of them are solvable, but they require some effort.
A bit disappointing since I wish dell had come out with their top precision line which worked flawlessly "out of the box". Precision laptops have some great hardware and I would like to see dell kicking MBPs butt.
So, did drop the ball on the precision line ? Should it demand more from the device driver development team ?
I have a 1520, 2Ghz Duo, 2.5 Gb Ram, running XP.....I also have a Line6 Guitarport USB audio interface. When I use this the audio often drops out a lot, especially when acessing the hard drive - what can I do about this? -
it's a 5400RPM drive - will upgrading to a 7200RPM improve things? It seems something is effecting the USB data stream.
The hard drive I have is a WDC WD1200BEVS-75UST 120GB
Also, is the drive running in SATA mode - when using HD tune it says: Standard: ATA/ATAPI-8 - SATA I