My SZ was destroyed but the insurance is paying for it (hooray!), now I have to decide what notebook to get. I loved my SZ, it was thin (especially the screen), lightweight, fast, and well built. Makes me sad that they got rid of it. It appears that the next closest model is the Z, which seems nice but isn't quite the same. It looks as though the keys are smaller are further spaced apart (why??) and it looks a bit chunkier (especially the screen), although the other features seem nice.
if there will be a debut of any new business class premium notebooks at CES in a few weeks? Should I wait or just buckle down and get the Z?
I purchased a Dell Inspiron 9200 in Janaury 2005. It has been an excellent laptop since day #1, but an upgrade is now in order!
Can ANYBODY have a clue as to when Dell will release laptops based on the new CENTRINO 2 line? I'd love to buy another Dell, but if they don't plan on upgrading the hardware soon, then I'll have to go to another brand.
It’s that time again for the ATI Catalyst™ driver update!
Let’s take a look at what is new this month!
New Windows Features
ATI Catalyst – Video enhancements
* H.264 Level 5.1 support o ATI Catalyst can now playback 5.1 level streams on all support players o Allows for playback of high resolutions (4Kx2K)
AMD video transcoding updates
* This release of ATI Catalyst provides enhanced support for the Windows 7 Drag and Drop video converter o Performance improvements o New formats supported (H.264 file formats – MTS, WTV, and WMV9 Complex profile interlaced content) o ATI Catalyst Control Center™ option for enabling/disabling GPU acceleration * Support for the ATI Video converter is now available in the advanced view of the ATI Catalyst Control Center
New Linux Features
Support for new Linux operating systems
* This release of ATI Catalyst driver for Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems: o Ubuntu 10.04 early look support
For more information on ATI Catalyst 10.4 (for Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows® XP, and Linux® versions), including all of the resolved issues in this release, please see the ATI Catalyst 10.4 release notes.
The first ATI Catalyst 10.3a is out. Lets install it in our ATi enabled laptops and see the improvements here.
This ATI Catalyst™ driver update will unlock new performance improvements on top of the already previewed features in the initial Catalyst™ 10.3 Preview driver we sampled you in February. This driver will be available to download on March 17th from undgerground.amd.com and it will be called "Catalyst 10.3a Preview". On March 24th we will post the official Catalyst™ 10.3 WHQL certified on amd.com. The difference between the two is that Catalyst™ 10.3a Preview will contain future Eyefinty 6 updates and an Alien vs. Predator optimization which the Catalyst™ 10.3 WHQL posting does not have.
Gosh! I am so excited
Direct Download Links:
Desktop 64-Bit version
Notebook 64-Bit version
Update: The desktop direct link doesnt seem to work from the forum but still works from the underground.amd.com and mobility direct link still works.
Update: This is the change log I found so far:
Support for 3D Stereoscopic Glasses.
• Support for ATI Mobility Radeon GPUs (HD2000-HD5000). • Eyefinity Display Bezel Compensation. • Eyefinity Per-Display Color Adjust. • Eyefinity Multiple Display Groups. • Eyefinity Display Configuration Switching. • Performance improvement in Aliens vs. Predator. • Performance improvement in Battleforge. • Performance improvement in Call of Duty: World at War. • Performance improvement in Company of Heroes. • Performance improvement in Crysis. • Performance improvement in Crysis: Warhead. • Performance improvement in DiRT 2. • Performance improvement in Far Cry 2. • Performance improvement in Left 4 Dead. • Performance improvement in Left 4 Dead 2. • Performance improvement in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky. • Performance improvement in Resident Evil 5. • Performance improvement in Tom Clancy's HAWX. • Performance improvement in World in Conflict. • Numerous Bug Fixes.
The official release notes will release when it will be directly webposted at amd.com.
Benchmark test of 10.3a for 5000 series card: link
Update: Official ATi Catalyst 10.3 Suite Available Now
Trying to get rid of these questionably useful programs -- but I don't see entries for them in add/remove programs in the control panel (or for any of the other useless VAIO software packages that come on OEM machines sans "fresh start")
How accurate are the preliminary shipping dates posted when you are customizing a system online? If I select an option that may delay the ship date, is the estimated delay only a precaution or does it actually delay by that much?
I ordered a Dell Prcision M4400 mobile workstation on April 27th. It is now MAY 27th and I STILL don't have my computer!
Every week, on the day the order is scheduled to ship, the shipping date is suddenly shifted one more week away. So far, this has happened to me 4 times!
When I call Dell they always assure me that such-and-such is the ship date, but then, yet again, the ship date is delayed another week. It doesn't matter if I explain what has been happening - they just repeat back like a parrot that the system says that it will ship on such-and-such a date.
I can see that for myself on the website! What I wanted was some kind of an explaination for the ridiculous delays and some kind of an assurance that I'll be getting my computer sometime within the current epoch
which ('version')/ date your laptop was made/shipped from the factory.
I need this info to compare it to another one of the same kind that was purchased this week.. I want to know if HP has released a 'second generation' of some kind.. or just improved something significantly.
Has anyone encountered abnormally long ship dates for recently ordered laptops?
I ordered a Studio 15 / Mini 9 combo about a week ago and the ESD for the Mini 9 is next week, and the ESD for the Studio 15 is early December. In the past I've gotten my custom-ordered laptops within a week of ordering.
I also noticed that the Purchase ID info does not show billing or shipping info, although I did receive email confirmation with that info.
What's going on? Will I receive lemons because Dell is making everyone take unpaid leave?
So I bought a sealed box 8530w off eBay. Now I know from previous HP business models that the warranty start date on the online lookup tool starts from the day the laptop was manufactured. This hasn't ever been an issue in the past, since I got previous laptops second hand anyway.
But this one is already nearly 6 months into its 3 year warranty. I guess it has been sitting around sealed in its box for a while.
1. Is there any way I can get HP to update the warranty start date? (I'm getting an invoice from the seller as we speak)
2. Assuming I can, will that new warranty start date be reflected in the online lookup?
3. Will the new warranty start date be transferable if I sell the laptop, or will it only apply to me, with my name on the invoice?
The notebook is a compaq presario c500.The seconds are not counting in the bios setup screen.Obviously the clock is wrong whenever the pc is turned off and or restarted.I have already replaced the battery(cr2032 3V)twice to make sure it is not that.I also updated the bios.That did not work. What controls the time?
I am constantly losing my time and sometimes date. I have checked that I have selected the correct time zone many times. The clock always jumps backwards, not forward and it is never a set amount of time. However it is usually between 30-45 minutes back. Very rarely the date will randomly jump back several years. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Some friends have told me it could be: 1)Virus or such, but i have done several scans already. 2) Dying CMOS battery 3) Or something about BIOS time being off, I'm not sure what it meant.
I guess if it is the CMOS battery, is there anything i should know before replacing it (like saving some settings or something?) or can i just unscrew the back of my laptop pop out the battery and pop in a new one?
I have a HP Pavillion DV7-4050ea. Each time i restart the computer, the date time does not update. I have changed the the battery (CR2032) to no effect. Is there anything I can do to ensure the correct date and time updates each time I restart the computer.