HP/Compaq :: Laptop Plugged In All The Time (hp's)zd8000
Mar 23, 2009
We have some older hp zd8000 laptops, where the battery stopped charging at one point.. granted, they were pretty old, but in one case, we ordered a replacement battery, its been "ok".. in another, the replacement stopped working (stopped charging or holding a charge) after 3 months..
Now i'm about to get a new hp dv7t.. I'm wondering if i should avoid leaving it plugged in (and charging) all the time, or has the tech changed so that this wont hurt the unit..
I have a HP zd8000 laptop. It has what looks like one yellow line and one blue line on the right side of the screen that run vertically. Sometimes when I move the monitor it also flickers but usually only when I physically move the screen. How do I get the lines to go away or is my monitor going bad?
My mother was having some trouble with her laptop, and I was wondering if you guys had an idea of what the problem could be. Basically, it won't turn on, even with the battery plugged into the wall. It is completely unresponsive. The last time she used it was last night, and she said that when she was done, she left it on with the screen down and the battery plugged in.
I am constantly losing my time and sometimes date. I have checked that I have selected the correct time zone many times. The clock always jumps backwards, not forward and it is never a set amount of time. However it is usually between 30-45 minutes back. Very rarely the date will randomly jump back several years. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Some friends have told me it could be: 1)Virus or such, but i have done several scans already. 2) Dying CMOS battery 3) Or something about BIOS time being off, I'm not sure what it meant.
I guess if it is the CMOS battery, is there anything i should know before replacing it (like saving some settings or something?) or can i just unscrew the back of my laptop pop out the battery and pop in a new one?
Battery and screen questions,' 1 when not using the laptop should I leave it plugged in? 2 when playing music w the windows media player that came installed on the laptop how do I turn off the screen. I have set the screen to turn off ib 3 min but it does not turn off
I own a Acer Aspire 8930g which I bought at the end of November 08.
Ive been having power problems, Id be playing a game or just browsing the web, and the machine just switches off. Upon booting up again and logging into windows I notice the battery is completely flat, and is charging at 1%
The laptop is ALWAYS plugged in.
It seems to run down the battery if the computer is put into sleep mode, even though the power is plugged in, and also, I think, cant be 100% but seems to drain the battery even when fully shut down with the power plugged in.
Strrange problems and is really annoying as you would imagine if your in the middle of a good game or halfway through a good movie.
I have the charger from here brought as a replacement for the original one, but when I plug it - the laptop works, but the battery it's not charging. The battery is 6-7 months old, was pretty good - lasts for more than an hour and a half, but it's not charging now.I have tried to enter the bios and stay there for about 2 hours but the battery does not charge..Or the charger it's not the good one?
I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 which is having an overheating problem. However, it only overheats when I am playing some game and the laptop is plugged in. It will not over heat when the computer is on battery only. It shouldn't be the power cord because I have bought a new one since the problem started. Also, the heating seems to be coming from where the fan is.
When I start up my laptop, it makes a beeping sound then tells me something along the lines of,"AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined."And when I press F2, it tells me that my battery is operational but it is on idle but the lights on the battery do not glow.When I get it started up, on the actual home screen with icons and everything, if I hover above the battery icon it tells me, "Plugged in, not charging."
My AC power adapter has a small led light on it, and it is green. Before this, my laptop used to get very very hot, to the point that I could not even put it on my lap for too long. I would also sometimes put it on my bed where there is fabric. Also, there is a break on the AC adapter at the very top near where it gets plugged in. I also ran a diagnostic test and it gave me back a code, 2000-0142 .....
Also, my laptop is significantly slower and I am using an Inspiron 1521
So last night my laptop was running fine on battery power, but then it was running low, so I plugged in the power cord. Nothing happened. Since the adapter at the laptop end was falling apart and duct-taped anyways, I figured it was just conking out, but then I saw the indicator light on the power brick was off.
With some experimentation, I found that if I moved it to a different outlet, the light would come back on, but if I plugged it into my laptop, the light would die, and I would have to again move it to a different outlet (the same one as first would work fine) to get the indicator light back on. It works in other Dell laptops. Other adapters do the exact same thing.
So I'm guessing there's a problem with my laptop wiring that's causing a short or something. (Apologies for my shallow electrical knowledge.) But it was working last night on battery power. Until the battery died completely this morning, it would power up. So it's not an electrical problem that kills the laptop.
My battery on my acer draws power at times when my laptop is plugged in it will work ok then the on and off button will start to blink It will go into hibernation when plugged in when the battery gets to low....
I just bought an apple Time Capsule and started using it last night, router and switch works great, but can I use that as an external harddrive, because I tried to transfer files from my laptop to time capsule but it always gives me errors saying that the device is disconnected and whatnot. Anyone got any words on how to use it as an external harddrive freely? By the way, I use it on my Windows 7.
For a while now the mute button on my dv6-2155dx laptop stays orange all the time - whether the sound is muted or unmuted. How do I fix this?? It works when you press it, the color just never changes...
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 and my friend has a Latitude D820.
Tonight she accidentally plugged my power adapter into her laptop. A few hours later, she noticed that her laptop indicated that it wasn't plugged in, and that's when we realized that she had accidentally used my adapter instead of hers.
Now my adapter doesn't work at all. We've tried the adapter with both our laptops with different outlets with the same problem, so we know it's the adapter. The green light also doesn't come on when it's plugged in anymore.
Did plugging my adapter into her laptop somehow screw up my adapter, or could this just be a coincidence? Is there any way to fix the adapter or at least figure out what the problem is? And if I have to purchase a new adapter, do the universal ones they sell at retail electronics stores work OK? I would order one from Dell but I'm working on a project now and I don't have time to wait for it to ship.